Status of Local Historic Preservation
There are a number of historic preservation projects already underway or completed, prior to formation of the Alliance. We will update this list so you can share an appreciation for what the Town is working on with various groups or individuals as part of its preservation plan.
Underway or Partially Completed
The former Falmouth Railway Station on Depot Street, Falmouth; Now the Bus Terminal
The Nimrod Restaurant, Dillingham Street, Falmouth. Proposed as mixed-use development. Work not started.
The Conant House, headquarters of the Falmouth Historical Society, Falmouth Center. Being updated, but open to the public for its museum and archives.
Lawrence Academy (Now the Chamber of Commerce building), Academy Lane, Falmouth. Repairs to the historic cupola where the school bell once rang will commence in 2015.
Highfield Hall, Depot Avenue, Falmouth. The original home of the Beebe family was saved in 1992 from demolition by volunteers who formed a non-profit organization and leased the building and land from the Town. It is now Falmouth’s pre-eminent cultural center.
The Inn on the Green at Hewin & Main Street on the Green, Falmouth. The Inn was converted to condominiums, but the exterior retained its 19th c. appearance.
The Katharine Lee Bates House, North Main Street, Falmouth. This home was purchased from the Falmouth Historical Society by David Newton of C.H. Newton Builders. Mr. Newton preserved the entire interior and then sold it to a private party.
Properties in Danger or Recently Lost
The Andrew Davis House (1879) for whom Davis Straits Road, Falmouth was named. This vernacular Victorian house has been demolished to make way for a commercial development in 2014.
The Bowerman/Eldred House, Route 28A, West Falmouth. The Colonial (c. 1750) portion of the original homestead was removed, the shell of the Federal front (c. 1830) of the house was retained and the 100-year-old barn was razed as part of a condominium development in 2013.
The Captain Charles Lawrence House (1830), Teaticket Highway, Teaticket. This Greek Revival home was demolished to make way for a commercial development in 2014.
Elm Arch Inn (1811), Falmouth Center. A development plan to demolish the Inn and build six condo units was halted. The Inn owners are now considering other options.
The Francis Nye House (c1822), North Falmouth. Sold. Will be torn down for a condominium development, date still unclear.
The Shubal Nye House (c1762), North Falmouth. Sold with acreage to become a small development of homes. The Nye house was razed in October 2014.